More coursework: 1 - A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I - J | K - L | M | N - O | P - S | T | U - Y
Identify the roles and responsibilities of a teacher
The roles and responsibilities of a teacher evolve with time and circumstance. It is impossible to give a rigid definition of either as they change constantly, though there are some roles and responsibilities that are common to all teachers throughout the education system. It is hard to know where the roles and responsibilities of a teacher should stop and I feel is each teachers responsibility to know the boundaries.
There exists a misconception that the only skill required to be a teacher is the ability to teach, but it goes far beyond this. A teacher must be multi faceted (WALKLIN 1990) adapting to ever changing circumstance. Qualities and characteristics desirable in a teacher run hand in hand with basic responsibilities and it is difficult to separate them.
Some of the roles of a teacher will be that of: -
SCHOLAR...Scholarliness, showing the knowledge and love of accuracy of a truly learned person (Chambres Dictionary)
A sound knowledge of subject matter is required, but also the ability to relate specifics to generalities, facts to theories and theories to facts. To be capable of creative thinking and reasoning and integrate new knowledge.
Able to pass on knowledge to another and convey it with clarity of speech. Question students thoroughly enough to know just how they see or are confused by an issue. To listen and empathise with students, respecting their views, feeling for them as an individual and getting to know their needs. The role of communicator is far reaching and encompasses all the qualities required to communicate effectively, patience, sense of humour, diplomacy and a respect for cultural diversity.
A teacher must act as a councillor and guide, and in order to do this must be non judgmental and objective, not letting their values affect how they treat students. They must offer help and support where they can, identifying the needs of the individual.
Teachers must be able to organise their learning environment, whilst establishing some ground rules. They should provide adequate resources for the lesson, plan the delivery of the subject matter and be aware of the need for flexibility, when as so often happens, things do not run according to plan.
A teacher is responsible for administrative matters, be it that of the initial enrolment or the administration that is required throughout the duration of the course. This writing from studentcentral.co.uk
The roles of a teacher appear never ending. In WALKLIN (1990) he established some of the roles of a teacher as, change agent and innovator; councillor and coach; helper and supporter; implimentor; monitor and evaluator; motivator and team leader; needs identifier and advisor; organiser and planner; staff developer; teaching and learning media expert and finally TUTOR. I would suggest that this is just the tip of the iceberg.
There are certain responsibilities placed on the tutor. Legally with regards to
HEALTH AND SAFETY (Health and Safety Act 1974)
An example of this would be fire regulations and the pointing out of fire exits, and assembly points. Teachers are individually and collectively responsible for the safety of everyone whilst at the place of learning.
Promoting equality of all, regardless of age, gender and culture. We need to examine our own behaviour to see if we are discriminatory and politically correct.
A teacher should also be aware of students with special needs and advocate conditions for their success.
A teacher is also responsible for designing, implementing and evaluating the educational program (planning, delivery and evaluation)
In conclusion a teacher should posses a number of qualities, though it would be impossible for one individual to display them all. Each teacher
is unique and their styles will differ greatly. To fully define the roles and responsibilities of a teacher would be an impossible task. I've but touched upon a few, tomorrow another role/responsibility will have been added. The role of a teacher is indeed multi faceted, adapting to the ever-changing needs of the learner and educator.
Source: Essay UK - http://www.essay.uk.com/coursework/identify-the-roles-and-responsibilities-of-a-teacher.php
Not what you're looking for?
If this essay isn't quite what you're looking for, why not order your own custom Coursework essay, dissertation or piece of coursework that answers your exact question? There are UK writers just like me on hand, waiting to help you. Each of us is qualified to a high level in our area of expertise, and we can write you a fully researched, fully referenced complete original answer to your essay question. Just complete our simple order form and you could have your customised Coursework work in your email box, in as little as 3 hours.
Teachers play a key role in the education and also student’s life.
A person with proper vision, experience, and an education degree can enter the teaching profession.
Teaching job is a great responsibility than a mere job.
It has an impact on the growth and well-being of the nation.
The teacher today is quite diverse than past and has a wide role in almost every occupation.
In many cases of a successful student, there seems to be a good teacher. The relation in between seems to be very harmonious with complete dedication and affection from the teacher towards the student. This phenomenon had never been the other way.
For an inspiration in being a teacher go through these 1200 quotes for teachers. You can also gift the item to your teacher.
Role of Teachers in Education
Education is necessary for politicians, businessmen, artists, farmers, religious groups, students etc. for their respective career growth.
Some of the great teachers were the cause of political and industrial revolutions around the world. Their vision helped various societies to gain self-sufficiency and financial freedom.
Some of them helped in the spread of knowledge and establishment of good educational institutes.
Education is vast and it has grown to a large extent in last century. Many fields in science, commerce, arts have come up and the area of study is very large. So considering these developments a
1.Teacher has to imbibe the education of his subject to a complete extent possible to deliver when needed.
2.He has to write books, articles, conduct seminars etc. to publicize the knowledge needed to the society.
3. The education system has to be designed and taught so that the learners can do some sort of service to society after attaining it.
4. The knowledge has to be imparted to pupil within short time period, in a most understandable way using effective teaching strategies like academic software.
5. He should avoid creating confusion or misrepresenting of education to students and society.
6. Due to many courses available for study, there is also good level of confusion among parents and students to select the courses of study in terms of job prospects and career aspirations. So he should guide in such a way it i beneficial to the student on the long run without just thinking of monetary gains to the school or education institute.
6. An ideal teacher has to set himself or herself as role models for upcoming teachers.
If you are new to teaching then through this guide on how to be an effective teacher.
Teacher plays an important role after parents in molding the students. Students are to be handled with affection and courtesy. The students point of view must always be considered once before he apply his opinion on them.
1. An ideal teacher should be impartial, disciplined, not affected by respect, insult and at all times be courteous.
2. The teaching should be done from the level (knowledge) of learner. Then gradually upgrade to higher level and not the reverse so as to leave them empty minded.
3. Teaching should also be done by reference to standard textbooks for each topic on the subject. This helps student get complete and reliable information.
More over students should be encouraged to refer the standard books. This will help them gain more information and also enhance their comprehension and reading ability. Further they can score well in the exams due to more detailed information.
4. In the classroom he should provide proper encouragement for pupils. The child must feel free to approach with any questions or doubts to discuss the issues.
5. Also he should encourage them to take notes in the class. This helps them improve their writing skills, understand better and stay attentive in class.
See advantages of note taking.
6. Teacher has to use effective teaching strategies like chalkboard, videos, pictures, animations to impart the knowledge in an easy manner.
7. Teacher has to let the students understand the aspects of career growth, scholarships available, future prospects in a particular field etc. Further he must make them aware of better universities and colleges around for higher education. Many students do not know better options for future studies.
8. When a student have some problems in behavior or thought process. Then the teacher’s role is to help student overcome the problem by showing special affection and attention on the student.
10. Teacher can solve many of the problems of the student in respect to his thoughts, behavior, career etc. The phrase that
The relationship between a teacher and student should be like a fish and water but not like a fish and fisherman.
is to be considered once by any teacher.
Give respect and take respect is the phrase for society… But in a student and teacher’s relation… It Becomes
Give affection & attention and take respect and regards from student.
Role of teachers in schools
At school, a teacher is like a parent to the student. He must try to see if the students are fine, healthy and active. He has to encourage students to take up extra curricular activities besides studies and also welfare programs with the support of his colleagues.
Students generally keep a watch on teacher’s life. So, a teacher has to maintain a good set of manners and try to be a role model. This not only helps students adopt it but also improves their regard to the teacher.
In case, parents of any students wish to meet them, the teacher must be ready to listen and cooperate with them.
Teachers should encourage student welfare program, sports, tutoring etc. Even education trips are to be included in the school life of the children.
It is common that children try to imitate their teachers out of inspiration from them. Hence, the teacher should try to balance his mindset by not showing fear, anxiety, over excitement etc. He must maintain his coolness and be of composed mind.
This implies that one should play the role of a teacher with dedication, honesty, affection, and patience.